- Hey! First of all, for those who have missed your band before: What does Painthing is all about?
Hello! Thanks for the opportunity to share some info about Painthing. We are a bunch of friends and doom/death enthusiasts. The band formed around 2014. In the past we played in various bands and shared few gigs bills together but didn’t had the chance to play together in one band. As our previous bands disbanded some time ago, the right opportunity has come to try to make music together and time has shown that it was a great idea. We have recorded our first album and after some personal changes – here we are with a fresh concepts and energy.
- What can you tell me about Painthing latest album “Where Are You Now…?”
On our debut album “Where Are You Now…?” you can expect old school doom metal played in the vein of English pioneers of the kind such as Anathema or My Dying Bride. Those bands significantly influenced us when we started our adventure with metal music and the spirit of doom dwells in our music and lyrics.
- When your fans can hear something new after “Where Are You Now…?”? I mean if there is scheduled some info about new album.
Luckily we don’t have any time pressure for a new release. Our music is based mainly on emotions, thus every piece needs a proper time and state of mind to be created. As a result, we need time to write something new, but every time one can feel the true emotions behind. Currently we are working on a new material.
- Do you have enough of positive feedbacks about the album so far?
We have received a lot of positive reviews and comments. Thank you all for such a kind words and appreciation. We also experienced a great feedback on our gigs. It’s a great pleasure and satisfaction to create something that comes directly from your heart and see that other people also feel those emotions. Thank you all!
- Solitude Productions released your album, so how you can value your collaboration, will you continue with Solitude Productions?
Solitude Productions is doing a great work to promote the album. We are all aware that doom is a niche in metal music, so it’s good to know which doors are worth to knock. We think that Solitude Productions has this knowledge. Now we are focused on the line up changes and new material, so it’s too early to determine what would happen when the new album will be ready to release.
- You’ve been active as a band for close to 6 years, what helps you to continue with the music?
Passion is the most important. We all have our full time jobs and playing doom is our hobby. We love to plunge into such sounds, create them, feel the emotions that accompany us during our rehearsals and gigs. It’s all about the passion for music.
- Is it enough easy to play metal and have stable line-up in your part of Poland? Can you live from album sales?
Music is our love and hobby, however nowadays only the few, most recognized bands can afford to live from it. Every member of Painthing has a full time job and all activities related to the band we perform during our leisure time. It requires a real passion and involvement, so not everyone is ready for such effort and devotion. That’s why a stable line-up is a privilege in Poland.
- Quite a few people have been involved in Painthing since its inception. How did you come to find a stable, permanent line-up of members?
It’s all about the individual capabilities and attitude. If you decide to play doom, you don’t expect easy money and the life of a rock star. You need to be well organized to find time, have patience and lot of passion. It’s not easy to find such people, but if you do – they know what to do and what to expect. The most rewarding thing is that everything comes directly from our hearts and you can feel it in our music.
- Which song off of “Where Are You Now…?” would you choose to play if you wanted to create a new fan of Painthing?
Each song is different. Of course they all have something in common, such as the vein of sadness, beauty and pain, however we don’t have a “favourite” one. The interesting part is that my personal favourities change on every rehersal, gig or during the listening of the album. It depends on mood, what you experienced that day and where are your thoughts right now. So, I wouldn’t choose one, rather encourage to listen to the full album and make your choices constantly. You will always find something new, that stick to you for a moment or longer.
- Which was the band that made you go, “that’s it–I’m starting a metal band!”?
It was more than 20 years ago since the idea of “starting a metal band” has come up for the first time. Each of us used to listen various bands. Anyway, we all were influenced by My Dying Bride, Anathema and Paradise Lost so for sure those bands impacted us significantly.
- Any parting words for the readers of Metal Militia?
Thank you all for the time you spent on reading this interview. I hope to see you on Painthing gigs and enjoying our album. I’m sure that if you seek for a real emotions in music, you will love “Where Are You Now…?”
- Thank you for your time!
Many thanks to you, for this opportunity! Take care!